Every now and then, we get notes or calls from readers of Research/Penn State about something that ran in the magazine. Sometimes the message is a thank you or a compliment; other times it’s more critical. Either way, it’s good to know that a reader cared enough about one of our stories or images to get in touch with us about it. Continue reading Readers weigh in
We have a winner!
The winner of our first At Large photo contest is Bernardo Niño, whose close-up shot of honey bees at their hive is so vivid that it makes us hear the buzzing and taste the honey. Bernardo’s photo appears in the spring issue of Research|Penn State, which will arrive on campus in mid-April. In addition to publication of his photo in Research|Penn State, Bernardo will receive a high-quality print of the At Large spread, suitable for framing. Continue reading At Large Winner—and New Contest
We are looking for superb research-related photos to run as our “At Large” feature in Research|Penn State magazine. As you can see from the two examples here, each photo fills a full two-page spread, is visually compelling, and will be accompanied by a very short description of how the image relates to research being done by a Penn State scientist or student. (We’ll write the description, with help from you.) You can see these images in print on pages 8-9 of our spring and fall 2014 issues, which are available around campus. Give me a call if you can’t find one.
Here are the specs:
• Images must be strong horizontals so one shot can completely fill a two-page spread.
• Images must relate to research being conducted by someone at Penn State.
• Images can be scenics, close-ups, or micrographs. They can be realistic or abstract (a patterned structure, for example), color or black & white. Archival shots will also be considered.
• We do not use portraits. When we use a shot with a person in it, the person is small within the frame.
• Images must be available at high resolution.
Please send your photos to me, Cherie Winner, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Lo-res versions are fine at this stage. If we select your image, we’ll ask for the hi-res version. Deadline for submission is Friday, Jan. 16, 2015. For more information, use the contact form below or call me at 3-4750.